Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Remembering my Dad

Today is my Dad's birthday ... well, it was his birthday ... well it still IS his birthday, on this side of the Veil. In Sarah Menet's near-death experience book, "There Is No Death" (http://www.thereisnodeath.com) she talks about there being another celebration in the spirit-world: the day we cross back over when we die. She mentions what it's called but I can't remember at the moment (Ack! Brain Cell Loss strikes again). They celebrate their "rebirth" into the Spirit World like we celebrate our birth here into the Mortal World. It made me wonder if my dad now celebrates two special days: his mortal life birthday and his death-day Spirit World birthday? If so, I guess he can choose the age he wants to be: 85 years old or 1-1/2 years old. Hah! Here are a couple of pictures I scanned:


(Sorry about the big white space - I'm not a pro scanner, as you can see.)

I can't believe it's already been 1-1/2 years since my dad passed away (December 2006). Since today is his earthly birthday I've been thinking a lot about him -- missing him and wondering about how he is. That's one of the hardest things about this necessary earthly Veil -- we don't get to visit with our loved ones in the Spirit World (unless we're darn lucky). I wonder, what is he doing now? Who is he associating with? Does he spend time with my husband, Nathan and his family or with past friends and other family members? What about people he knew in this life? Does he get to spend much time with them? Is he on a mission, teaching people about the Gospel (which he so dearly wanted to do again in this life) or is he in school, learning new things? Questions ... I have sooo many questions! But I DEFINITELY don't want to go through the associated pain that would accompany a near-death experience so I'll have to content myself with waiting until it's my turn to cross over (which I have to admit I hope is a long time away - I love this earth life).

(That one picture above of Dad and his family entitled "The Musician" is during the Depression ... they traveled as a family orchestra around the West -- Dad was 5-8 years old and he played the trumpet, led the family and sang. One of my greatest regrets is that I didn't interview he or my Grandma better (and soon enough) to get quality information about this unusual experience. There were many families who did this and I should have written an article on it, during my college years.)

I've also been thinking about what a GOOD man my dad was (and is). He was never a flashy or high-profile man, but one of the Lord's "worker bees" who always did what he was asked to do, always stayed true to his values, and always stood stead-fast in the Gospel. Of course he had some negative points too ... he could be stubborn and sometimes emotionally remote. But that's okay - that's what made him human. Negatives are part of us, yes? One of the greatest things my dad taught me was to love my ancestors and be proud of my heritage. He consistently told me, "Always remember that you are a Daughter of God, and you are a Rich" (and of course Iverson & Workman & Alldredge too). My direct great-great (-great?) grandfather is Charles C. Rich and my other family lines go way back to the beginnings of the church also. It wasn't a boastful or prideful thing for my dad -- it meant that I had a heritage of good people behind me and I should live equal to my ancestors. AND I should never forget about them. I often worry about getting my act together and doing more family history work. Who is missing that needs to be linked in?

My dad was also a great example to me of courage and perseverance. He never made a lot of money and he changed careers three times: first as a barber, then as a welder, then as a full-time custodian for our church building. But there was usually enough to care for us properly and to keep ice cream in the house. OF COURSE! Who could live without ice cream?! And he LOVED the 4th of July and any celebration. He wanted birthday cakes and cards and presents and all the Christmas trimmings clear up until he wasn't able to function, and then I'll bet you anything he was longing to be a part of the celebrations even when he couldn't communicate that to us.

Dad bore his "last-years illness" with great dignity. I always thought it was terribly ironic that my dad would be so healthy his whole life (hardly even a cold) and then be hit with such a terribly debilitating illness such as PSP (Progressive supra-nuclear palsy) [http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/psp/psp.htm] ... sheesh. But even while my dad's body shut down and he moved towards immobility, he bore the whole experience with humor and grace and rarely, RARELY complained. I learned a lot watching my mom and dad go through this experience. Who knows, he may have complained loudly to himself, but I never heard it much. (I, on the other hand am a vociferous complainer - one of MY negatives.) Dad had some pretty cool guardians from the Spirit World too: during those final years he consistently saw four girls in white who would come and be nearby. He would be sitting at the dining room table and would suddenly say, "Well there go the 4 girls! They're leaving now" ... or he'd make other references out of the blue about them. I truly believe that they were assigned to help him through this experience. I can't wait to meet them and find out who they were (and say thank you). I think there were lots of family members from the Spirit World who helped my dad through his illness ... you should see some of the family pictures we've taken -- LOTS of orbs in the pictures sometimes! I'll have to find my favorite picture and post it in someday -- it's a picture my brother, Scott took one Christmas where a bunch of us were in the front room playing a board game and just laughing away. The picture is filled with orbs. It's really something.

Well I'm rambling ... and my lunch hour is over (way over). I just wanted to say that I'm so grateful for my dad, for what he taught me and for his steadfastness and surety in Gospel truths. He taught me everything I needed to bring me great happiness and put me on a good course, and I love him very much. I hope he's celebrating today in the Spirit World! And I hope he gets a HUGE cake to eat!


(My dad - surrounded by some of his sketched cartoons)

2 comments:

Deborah W said...

Happy Birthday, Daddy Rich! I miss him, too. The world is a better place because he was in it; now Heaven reaps the benefit. So glad you have so many happy memories, Judy. Luv ya! Deb

Jamie said...

cool pictures Judy. Are those you have scrapbooked? they look great! My grandpa had a heart atack when he was in his 40's and had a near death experience. My dad was a kid, maybe 10-12ish, and when his dad talked to him about meeting someone and being told it wasn't his time yet and they'd like him to go back to his body but it was his choice whether he went back or stayed, and seeing the dr.s working on his body while he floated somewhere above looking on my dad was pretty freaked out. He thought his dad (grandpa) was losing his mind. People just didn't talk about near death experiences very much in the old days I guess. He understands it now however and I think it's pretty cool.

I wonder who those 4 girls are? They must be significant in some way.

Happy birthday Judy's dad! you raised one great woman!