Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Resiliency musings

Yesterday morning I was running around like a little fool trying to get several things done before dashing off to work. I was hurrying across the backyard to put some water on my one lone tomato plant and was pulled up short by (of all things) several bright little yellow weed flowers.

Now I hate weeds as much as the next soul and usually pull them up when I'm feeling industrious, but I was struck by their resiliency. Just a couple of days ago they were nothing more than little semi-green spots against the vast expanse of our dead yard, and today they had sprung up into these large flowered stems. They intrigued me ... I thought about them on and off all day. I thought about how persistent the darn things are ... they just keep coming back and coming back no matter how many times we wack them down, pull them up or stomp all over them.(these pictures aren't the best, but hopefully they give you a sort-of visual)

It caused me to think about my life -- how resilient am I? How well do I bounce back after I get stomped on, pulled to pieces or wacked down? After many years I think I'm finally starting to learn that everything we experience has something to teach us, no matter how joyful a thing or how painful a thing. Working our way through experiences and allowing them to touch us or stretch us can catapult us to new levels, or even just move us one little inch up the ladder. Or they can push us backwards if we let them. Seems like it's all about how we choose to deal with life ... how willing am I to embrace whatever comes my way? Hmmmmm. Maybe I'll leave those weeds for a little while ... at least until this weekend (or until Ruth sees them and cuts them down - hah!).

4 comments:

Deborah W said...

Awesome post! I've always loved your writing style - that's why your emails are so fun to read - now more people will get to enjoy your "musings." You've definitely got something to offer to the blogosphere, he he!!

Bongo57 said...

I am very impressed. Such eloquent writing--and about weeds even!! Keep it up Judy!! I'm looking forward to your next entry

Margaret said...

So true. I guess we can all take a lesson from the weeds.

Jamie said...

ONe of my favorite quotes is "I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship" -Louisa May Alcott

I am not there yet. I am scared a lot of the time. but I want to be fearless. I aspire to be fearless for I know that fear and faith can not reside together.

Weeds are so resilient and they do have a lot to teach us. There is a lesson everywhere when we look for it.

I love your palm tree/ocean background. Is that new. Seems like you looked different the first time I came by. I also love the subtitle. "Life is a song worth singing"
Love you!