Monday, July 21, 2008

And there it goes ...


Late last week we lost another "big one" in our neighborhood ... the giant, beautiful old maple in our neighbor's yard. It was just too old and I guess even trees have to eventually move on, yes? I wonder if there's a special place in the Spirit World just for trees? I hope so. It was harder to see this grand old monarch go than I thought. And it was sudden too. My neighbors didn't want to cut the tree down but as you can see in my photo string, they pretty much had no choice. The tree had cracks up the main trunk and one large branch had already sheared off during the last windstorm. Better to lose the tree than have it fall down onto their house, OUR house, another neighbor's house, or someone's car.

Still, these beautiful giant trees bring so much character to our neighborhood (not to mention all that good carbon dioxide going up into the atmosphere). It's sad to see them go ... it changes the face of our homes and street. It's kind of similar to what some of us were talking about yesterday: we have a lot of older people in our church Ward who bring so much character and value and wisdom and downright goodness to our area. We hate the thought of losing them someday, though it's a fact that we will because EVERYONE (and obviously EVERYTHING) must "graduate" eventually. But when it happens it changes the face of our neighborhood and it's just never quite the same again. I guess it shouldn't be ... moving forward is important.

Well, I may never get to spend time with this tree again, but I'm fully expecting (and wanting) to spend time again with our human monarchs, when we all meet (someday) in the Spirit World.

Ruth suggested to our neighbor that he pull up and plant one of the many, many baby treelings that keep coming up in our yard (the maple was VERY generous with its seeds) but he just laughed. I guess that means they plan to put down sod instead!

It does mean no more shade for our woofs, which ... you guessed it ... means THEY will get their coolness from another source (US, of course).


1 comment:

Jamie said...

I noticed that tree missing as I drove down the street the other day. It made me sad to see it gone. It really did change the look of that little part of the street. It was such a large tree offering so much shade and beauty. I also am sad to see it go. Hope the boyz can stay cool for the rest of the summer!