Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Super Saturday - I'm so glad we did it


A few weeks ago (gosh, almost a month ago already!) we had a nice Super Saturday for our ward -- at least I thought it was nice! Hah! I'll bet we're the only ward in the area still having them. Or so it seems. :-) Everyone I talked to outside of our ward said things like, "You're having that?! We haven't had one of those in a long time" or, "Wow we don't do those anymore" or even, "Hmmm, it might be fun to do one of those again ... someday ..." Haha. Yes it WAS a lot of work and yes I suppose it's not the current trend for Relief Society Enrichment activities, but we had enough sisters ask about having one that we felt it was the right thing to do ... for us ... for this time around anyway.

You know, this was my fourth Super Saturday as Enrichment Counselor. Fourth! It's funny because every year leading up to the event I and my Leader(s) have said, "No No! It's too much work. Do we have to?! [whine whine]" And every time we've been glad we did it. It's great seeing the positive response from the sisters and experiencing their enjoyment ... especially enjoyment of the time spent with each other. So worth it -- so worth every bit of effort and time spent. I love these women and I love seeing them delight in each other's company and the projects. AND of COURSE the LUNCH!!!!!!!!! Mmmmmmmmm.

This year we had to work very fast to get it pulled off, because I screwed up and didn't begin working with Corinne (my Enrichment Leader) and drawing together a committee and start planning until way too late in the summer. Our regular little Enrichment Committee had pretty much dwindled down to one or two and Corinne felt impressed to not officially call a new Commitee, but invite sisters who were interested to assist. As always, the sisters who helped were AWESOME. We have such wonderful, responsible women in our ward! It was the same with our past committee members: I could always count on them to do their part, and they always did. I never felt that I could thank them deeply enough for their help. I hope they know how much I loved and appreciated their sacrifices. And I felt the same with our little group this time too. AND I felt the same for those who wanted to help and planned to help (like Jenie) but whose lives just didn't allow for it this time.

I think the sisters who came had a good time ... I hope they did. I listened to the laughter and the conversations floating around the room, and felt a warmth and a goodness. It felt like we were enjoying each other's company, and some were getting to know each other better. I wish I had remembered my camera ... that was my one regret: no pictures. :-( Well, that and the fact that I couldn't free up the committee sisters so they could do crafts themselves, and also I felt soooo bad about getting the wrong thing for the Scrubbies!!!! (Sorry Sisters - it was supposed to be tulle and wasn't it a shock when we opened the box and discover I had ordered nylon netting instead! If you were wondering why your fingers were sore and it was too hard to crochet the stuff ... that's why. Oh Dear!)

Well I'd like to share our craft lineup with you (see all the pictures off the side here, too), but before I do that I want to tell you about LUNCH. Ab-so-lute-ly YUMMMMMMYYYYY!!! (In my humble opinion.) And I am SUPREMELY grateful to "Jared and Erica" (Walker) for their amazing recreation of Cafe Rio's "Salad with Sweet Pulled Pork." They posted it online -- we found it -- we decided it would be an excellent lunch. And then (bless her!) Donna was willing to take over the preparation for it. It was almost too much to figure out and gather up (we had to expand it to cover 50 people) but I'm so grateful she hung in there. Because I'm tellin' ya, that was some good eats. You really should try it out at home -- you'll love it. Here's the link to their website and the recipes ('cause you sort of combine several): http://jaredanderica.blogspot.com/2007/11/cafe-rio-salad-with-shredded-sweet-pork.html. But let me just say that we altered it a little bit: we didn't add near the amount of cilantro they suggested, and we didn't end up toasting the tortillas first. And we didn't add corn. Hmmmm ... if you ever want to serve this to a large group, maybe you could benefit from having the amounts we used. I was going to add that but I haven't gotten the numbers from Donna. I promise to get those and post them later on, for those who might be interested. (I promise! And not a year from now either, as I'm wont to do ...)

I think everyone enjoyed the lunch very much and it turned out to be a good choice for a coolish-warm, somewhat cloudy mid-September day.

I was pleased with the project lineup too, and I so hope that the sisters who were interested in them were satisfied. Here's what we decided to do:

*(1)* "Dinner & Dessert" in a jar. We offered two different dry soups ("Love Soup" which was beans & lentils & rice & seasonings and "Yummy Turkey Soup") and ingredients for two different cookies: "Orange Drop Cookies" and "M&M Cookies." We filled mason jars with the dry ingredients and covered the tops with plaid fabric. Allison had the ingredients all lined up along the tables buffet style and it was pretty quick & easy to put them together. And my but all the seasons & spices sure smelled good! If anyone is interested in reviving this trend for gifts, there are a LOT of recipes online for "gift basket goodies." I just googled "gift jar recipes" and found multiple sites. Here are some interesting ones to try:

** http://members.tripod.com/~HeresPoo/index.html
** http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/christmas/gifts/index.htm
** http://organizedchristmas.com/index-gifts-in-a-jar
** http://www.geocities.com/giftsinajar/

*(2)* Homemade Christmas cards using ink stamps, scrapbook paper and embellishments. Allison had several charming designs for the cards.

*(3)* Scrubbies! Linda helped teach us how to make these fabulous little wonders. You know, I had NO idea what a Scrubbie even was until several sisters begged Linda to teach them how to crochet them, and we decided it would be good for Super Saturday. I was curious and looked them up online and was floored by how many websites were out there dedicated to them. Wow! But as one person said, you can't get them anywhere but from someone's hands or at a boutique show. They scrub everything really well ... even your potatoes. If we ever do this again though I will make sure IT'S THE TULLE we use! Here's just one link and it has tons of cool patterns for them: http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/scrubbers.php. Also here's a link for a wonderful place to buy the tulle (and netting) -- this is the place we used and her prices are very good: http://www.knitsandbitsbylinda.com/Scrubbers.html.

*(4)* Candace put together the most adorable muffin tin advent calendar. http://www.flickr.com/photos/8242509@N06/1855132457/ We used the 24-count tins and each little muffin hole was covered by a scrapbooked square which attached with magnets. In the holes you can put in little notes, or a scripture, or treats or even suggestions for things your family can do each day during December. Hah -- this one just snowballed! At first there were only about 5 of us planning to make them, but as the sisters saw how cute they were more and more wanted to make them. The cost was highest for this: $15.00 because of the muffin tin (well, the supplies turned out to be more expensive than we expected too). I only included the link for one from the Internet - it's very nice but personally I think Candace's is even better. When I get mine made I'll put a picture out for you to see.

*(5)* Becky handled an adorable project we enlisted from a nice site online: Bath Salt Sundaes http://www.sugardoodle.net/Christmas/Sundae%20Bath%20Salts.shtml. We modified ours though: we used Calgon instead of homemade bath salts or plain Epsom salt (didn't want to turn anyone's tub a funny color!), and our colors were blue and green and I think purple instead of pink. We couldn't find the little bath beads anywhere (the cherry on top) so we opted for straws instead. The resulting "Sundaes" were much nicer than the picture I have in this blog -- the one above was our demo and we found better, more sundae-like cups at the Baskin Robbins Ice Cream shop later on. Still, this gives you the idea, no? The Sundae is made up of layers of bath salt, powdered milk, baking soda, a scrubber, and then the bath bead (if you can find them) or a straw for effect. We also put a layer of plastic wrap between the powdery stuff and the scrubber, to keep everything intact. Hey, Milk powder and baking soda, you say?! Yes indeed! They give your bath a luxurious feel and milk powder is good for the skin, did you know that? :-)

*(6)* Christmas stories in a notebook. This was sort of another take on an advent calendar, and I got it from my friend, Karen who did them in her Relief Society a few years ago. We had 24 divider pages (one for each day of December) that included a scripture, a song, and a xeroxed picture that you could color and glue in, and then there is a story to read each day. Karen was kind enough to share the whole book with us so we didn't have to go looking for our own stories or scriptures. They used Precious Moments pictures, but we offered both those and more traditional coloring pictures for those who didn't care for Precious Moments. I think they're very nice and I hope our sisters were happy with them.

*(7)* Hemp or seed bead bracelets and chokers. Our last project -- and the one I handled. :-) We only had a few people doing these but it was so much fun working on them together. I got them started by crimping on the "findings" (the clasps) and the sisters did their own designing and stringing. They were really nicely done. We had Patrice B.'s daughters involved and they were fun -- lots of interest and good energy from those girls! I couldn't keep up with everyone though -- I was surprisingly slower at getting those findings on than I expected. Well it didn't help that I kept distracting myself by collecting money or handling a few managerial things or talking and not working. Hah! They were all very patient with me.

When the day was done I felt the same happiness and satisfaction I felt after each of the other Super Saturday's I've been involved in. It was a nice day. There is a bonding between women that is unique to the female sect ... I think we need that connection with each other. And I think when we have those association opportunities it brings a necessary richness to our lives. It's something we should seek out and foster, don't you agree?

1 comment:

Jamie said...

hear hear!!!!! I love super saturdays and I really appreciate all you do to make them nice. This time I noticed again the music you had playing and remembered how you thought of it back when we did it together and I think it added such a nice detail to the atmosphere. You care so much for all of us, your sisters, and it shows in all you do for us.

p.s. candace stole my pics from my blog for her blog about the advent. You can steel them too if you can figure out how... that's always the trouble. ask Candace