Thursday, July 16, 2009

Jessica Sprague Class

Hello Hello Hello! I'll bet you thought this blog spot was going to be dormant forever, eh? It almost was! I came "this close" to giving it up. I went through a "spell" I guess. At any rate, I signed up for the most WONDERFUL digital scrapbooking techniques class at Jessica Sprague's website - here: http://www.jessicasprague.com/ and I've enjoyed it so much it broke my silence -- I just HAD to shout out how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE the class!!! If you ever get into digital scrapbooking, Jessica's website is a must-visit. And you know what? Even if you don't scrapbook digitally ... even if you are a traditional scrapper or even if you don't scrapbook but love photography, there are great classes t0 sign up for. They are worth every penny you spend. She has a wonderful way of explaining and teaching and you learn tons. And even better -- the class information is there for you FOREVER! If you ever get interested and want some info on how to sign up for a class, give me a holler -- I'll help you.

So the picture above is my latest attempt from the class (and it's FREE no less!): it's called "Frame-Ups and Special Effects." This is from lesson 6 -- I'm way behind. Ack! The class is only 2 weeks and they're already barreling ahead to lesson ... good grief, 11 or 12 I think. Still, I really loved how this picture turned out and wanted to share. You make your photo vintage-like and then you use a Photoshop technique that sort of fakes something that they say is becoming very popular among photographers: TTV ("Through The Viewfinder").

What do you think? Do you like it? I used two textures on it: "bus stop window" created by Steffen Jakob and offered here: http://steffen67.blogspot.com/2009/07/texture-bus-stop-window-fake-ttv.html and "texture 41 ttv" offered here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nasos3/3610200946/ (I can't figure out who created it but they did a great job).

The teepees are part of the Mountain Man Museum exhibit in Pinedale, Wyoming. That's where Ruth and I took the woof this 4th of July! (Man, it's really hard to reference just little Cowboy instead of both Brizzy and Cowboy. I sure miss the Briz.) We didn't go through the museum -- we just wandered around the outdoor exhibit which had life-style Native American teepees and mountain man bent-stick enclosures. They were really something. If you ever go through Pinedale, I recommend this museum. Even if it's just looking around outside. Just so you can see the difference with the technique, here's what my photo looks like "out-of-the-camera" ... hmmm ... drat. I can't move my picture down for some reason. It's at the top of this blog.

Okay, now that I've broken the ice again I'll have to post something else in a day or two, right? Next up: I've gotta tell you about a little amazing thing my co-workers Chad and Sara discovered at their cabin. Very cool! It deals with a tree and some initials carving. And after that -- guess I'd better step in where I started last year and talk about our 4th of July trip, yes?

5 comments:

Amy Sorensen said...

I love that you're a Jessica Sprague fan, too. she's awesome! Love your photo too, btw!

Hawkes Family said...

Thanks for sharing I might try it to see if I can simplify my scrapbooking attempts, I am a "traditional" scrap Booker. LOL

Deborah W said...

Soooo cool! I saw this on Jessica's website gallery, good for you, getting it uploaded! I've got a bunch up there now, too. Don't worry about being "behind," who cares? The lessons are available forever, so just ENJOY! I know I am. I have 5 or 6 lessons still to do myself. WELL worth the time spent on them! I really really want to see what else you have done! Post MORE, my friend!

Luv ya! Deb

Jamie said...

very cool pictures. I'm glad you're back. Hope it's for good.

Judy said...

Thanks guys! Amy, I'm glad you're a Jessica-fan too -- I'll bet you do some awesome stuff. And Brandie, you should give the digital scrapbooking a try! Tho if you do you might never look back - hah! I still haven't finished the class -- you're right Debbie: it's nice to have the class there "forever" to go back to whenever we can. Jamie-girl, thanks for your kind words. Do you scrapbook?