Wednesday, January 7, 2009

SNOW DAZE

Oh ... MY ... GOSH!!!!!!!! Snow snow snow snow snow snow snow ... everywhere I turn there is SNOW!!!!!! We have been dumped on in a huge way here in Orem -- something that we don't see all the time. It usually snows a ton in Salt Lake, Ogden, Bountiful, Brigham City ... all points North, in other words. And here in Utah County we get about half their amount ... usually. BUT NOT THIS JANUARY! Hahahahaha!!! The joke is on me, this little California girl who (even tho she's been here for 15 or so years) hasn't been able to give her heart to it. Would you like a preliminary peek?

This is looking out over the driveway where I pull up my car (we have two driveways: one that goes up to the carport section where Ruth parks her car and a second one that goes up to the extended carport section where I park my car ... I can't even remember how it happened that Ruth got the "enclosed" carport space - hah). The giant ridge in front is the snow piled between the two driveways. And beyond the second ridge is the snow built up on our neighbor's lawn, and then THEIR ridge before their driveway, and on to the next lawn ... etc. Do you get a feeling for it? WheeeeeEEEEE!!! Everyone has been doing some SERIOUS shoveling, yessir!

But I have to tell you a secret ... as much as I've been hating the snow ... I MAY just change my mind and come to really ... rather ... gulp ... like it! And all thanks to my good friends & co-workers Steve & Margaret. Yessir, today they gave me a lesson in the thrill of doing parking lot donuts!!! Oh okay, we didn't really do donuts -- we fishtailed. Over and over again, to teach me how to feel a slide so I can learn to correct and not be so scared. And speaking of scared, I WAS DEFINITELY scared to begin with! But you know what?! Oh man I hate to admit this ... it was FUN. I liked it a lot. In fact, I want to do it again. Hahahahahahahahaahaha!!!!!! Can you stand it?! Here are some pictures Margaret took while we were having my lesson:

We started out by going in Steve's car, and he skidded & spun & slid several times so I could get a sense of it. Whoo-ee! What a feeling when you feel that car start to slide and your stomach bottoms out. Nothing like it. Hah. Steve's really, REALLY good at this game:
Then we went back and got my car, and it was my turn:
Steve was in the passenger seat pulling on my hand brake so the back tires would lock & the car would skid, and Margaret was in the back seat enjoying the ride (?), and taking pictures for me! THIS is a monumental occasion, you know.
After a few times I was surprised at how much more natural it felt, and a lot of my fear started to go away. That's very cool! Margaret got out and took a picture of us trying to go into (and out of) a skid:
And as you can see below, we helped do our part to chew up the snow in the parking lot, and alter the natural beauty of the pristine, unmarked snow (hah):
As I said before, I hate to admit it - but I may actually come to like snow season. HAH! I wish I'd caught a picture of Margaret too but she was -- well -- behind the camera. "Sigh." Here are some more pictures of the snow outside our home, and Cowboy having a ball (literally & figuratively):

Looking south down our street (that's the sidewalk you're seeing - notice the almost-covered mailbox):
Cowboy, after digging out the ball I kept throwing into snowbanks in the yard:
Digging FOR that ball:
Walking the path Ruth and I dug for Cowboy in the front yard. Poor Ruth - she's dug those paths out three or four times so far -- I've dug them out a couple of times. That shows you who rules, eh? The dog! He has no trouble whatsoever jumping through the snow when he wants to play, but put his delicate bum down onto that snowpile when he wants to go poddy? NO WAY:
Hence, the pathways. And this next picture is for you, Deb - seeing as you love to take pictures of your feet wherever you are! (Which I think is a cool idea). I had to retire my old, OLD boots (you can see why) and now I'm sporting a new pair of not-so-pretty-but-they-sure-don't-slide shoes:

I have to admit it's been fun to play in the snow (having the right clothes & shoes helps a lot) and I've even enjoyed some of the shoveling I've done (not too much because a couple of TERRIFIC Young Men and a MOST EXCELLENT NEIGHBOR are helping to keep our walkways shoveled for us - bless them!). And NOW I'm learning how to drive in the stuff ... so ... I guess I'll have to stop singing my swan song: IS IT SPRING YET?!

7 comments:

Karla said...

It's great to see you posting again! I missed you there for awhile. Sounds like you have been having too much fun in the parking lots. I like to do that too, but my car doesn't slide very easy since it is AWD, but it is fun when it does. Robert went to unburry our house out there, he said he has never seen so much snow there in Orem before. Crazy! Stay warm!

Chad said...

I'm sorry I missed the fun, it would have been neat to get some donuts in the parking lot.

Deborah W said...

Aww, I want to do drive in the snow! How fun! What a great idea; just do it until you feel more confident. That will serve you well someday I expect. Ha ha ha ha! LOVE the broken-down boots! Did you see my hiking boots in my last post? He he, can't resist taking pics of the feet! Great post!! Luv ya!! Deb

Julie said...

Okay Judy all you need is some snowmans in your yard. Seriously it is so much fun to do that. Take a look at my blog and you will see I built a snowman with one of my kids and it was a blast! You will love it! Come on just do it. You know you want to.

Margaret said...

You did a great job Judy. I needed the good laugh. It was fun watching and being in the car. Although, I was happier out of the car just because I got car sick. LOL. Not your fault. You did exactly what you were supposed to. Now you understand why I say I LOVE snow.

Jamie said...

back in sunny california when I was in high school my friend drove her car down to the dirt lot on campus and we were doing doughnuts in the dirt. such fun til we drove out and found out her tire was about to fall off. oops! I've always been afraid to do them in MY OWN car since that day. Mark likes to get a little crazy and slide a little now and again but I'm still scared of doing serious damage. sounds like you had good teachers and a good time! yee ha!

Amanda said...

Judy, its Amanda from the sac. We moved about 4 years ago so I am not sure you remember me but I saw you on Jamie's blog & thought I would say 'hello'.