Monday, August 4, 2008

Little Garden Nuggets

This past weekend our neighbors and good friends Ron and Candace shared some of their garden bounty with us. YUMMM! Green peppers for Ruth and cherry tomatoes (and I THINK tomatillos) for me. Those little suckers are so GOOD!

The two bigger Roma tomatoes lurking in the back are from MY tomato bush - yay! The first of the season and they actually GREW!

Aren't they all pretty? I'm not a big green pepper fan so those beauties are all Ruth's. But the tomatoes are MINE (good thing Ruth doesn't like fresh tomatoes -- works out well, doesn't it?). :-) Sunday I cut up a bunch of the tomatoes and created the following noodle dish (rather delicious, I might add):

* About a cup (okay, probably closer to 1 & 1/2 cups) of noodles. I used fettuchine but I think it would've been better with angel hair pasta.

* Leftover burnt butter from the Spaghetti Factory Mizithra Cheese recipe. http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/23/Spaghetti_with_Burnt_Butter38272.shtml.

* Some grated sharp, hard cheese (like parmesan) ... I used some leftover exotic cheese I bought at the new, fabulous Harmons grocery store in Draper http://www.harmonsgrocery.com/webdev.nsf/Start?OpenForm.

* Some cooked, cut up chicken.

* A bunch of those lovely little cherry tomatoes, cut up.

* A little bit of basil/garlic seasoning.

MMMMMMM. I heated up the butter to melt it, stirred in the chicken and tomatoes, added the noodles and seasoning and cheese, and stuck it all back into the microwave to heat everything back up. I was surprised at how good it was and the tomatoes gave it quite the nice "ping!"

When I tried the Spaghetti Factory recipe a couple of weeks ago I discovered that you only needed a small amount of the butter to flavor your pasta, so I got a lot more mileage (and a lot less calories) from the recipe. Lovers of the S.F. Mizithra Cheese dish beware -- that recipe calls for a CUP of the butter (if I remember right). If they pour all of that (or even a fourth of that) onto our dishes we are getting a lot of calories. (But oh good grief, it's so good, who cares?!) It's taken me a while to use up the butter. But it is SO good! Try it sometime. It was easy enough that I could make it.

Yesterday I cut up a whole bunch more of those lovely tomatoes and heated them up with my leftover Nachos from Los Hermanos (have you ever seen the SIZE of that appetizer! WHEW). I love love love a good plate of restaurant nachos, so that's what I ordered when I went to lunch with Ruth, Sabrina and her Mom on Saturday (which was a ton of fun, by the way). But YUMMMM! Oh my goodness those fresh little tomatoes were SO GOOD on that leftover pile of soft chips and cheese (lots of cheese ... I should be chagrined but I can't help myself ... I love cheese ... Jamie, I totally join in on your children's mantra that EVERYTHING is better with cheese). I was delighted at how fresh and sweet/sour the tomatoes tasted. And all that wonderful lycopene ... YES. If my roma tomato plant continues to turn out okay I'm gonna have to try growing cherry tomatoes next year too. I'm surely enjoying these. THANK YOU RON AND CANDACE!!!!

5 comments:

Deborah W said...

Mmmm, you are making me hungry and I can't eat yet because I have to go to Jazzercise first! Augh! My tomato plants are producing like mad this year - first time EVER in this house and we've lived here 10 years. We get tomatoes every day; it's fabulous! Salad every day and that's a good thing. Of course, I always sprinkle grated CHEESE on top, ha ha!!!! Luv ya!! Deb

Judy said...

Hey girlfriend - how cool to hear your tomato plants are going crazy! It seems like everyone's plants are doing well this year ... maybe it's to compensate for high food prices, eh? If you have too many tomatoes and a dehydrator, you should try dehydrating some, yah? I think I'm going to give it a try, just to see what happens. Hope you had fun at Jazzercise!

Carly Forsyth said...

how funny that I am eating my leftover Los Hermanos smothered burrito as I read your post about Los hermanos leftover nachos!!!! :) I took my shirt and got the diablo Rojo last night. yum!

I've never heard of mizithra SP? cheese before. The burnt butter was interesting. I might have to try it.

Jamie said...

OOPS!!!!! That wasn't Carly, it was me JAMIE. Her account was the last one accessed and I didn't notice it.

Judy said...

Haha! Jamie, I wondered who Carly was. :-) Mizithra cheese reminds me of shredded parmesan or asiago cheese, only finer and sharper. It's REALLY GOOD with the burnt butter. Which I guess is why the dish is so popular at the Spaghetti Factory. Next time I go up to Draper Harmons and buy some I'll bring you a sample.